Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Safari!


In journalism, the following questions are the ones you need to answer when covering a story:

Who: Lane and Kathryn, Kaelyn (without Scott :( ), and mom and dad
Where: Medikwe, South Africa (near the border of Botswana)
Mosetlha Bush Camp
What: Awesome Bush Camp that you enjoy an awesome safari.
What else: Bush camp means no running water, electricity, or fences! Every man for himself! :)
Why: Because when you go to Africa, you have to go on a safari!

So, we had a great time on the safari. It really was amazing to be out there just driving around with all these animals out just living. What a life, by the way - walk around, eat and sleep. Course, being an impala or smaller animal would be a little unnerving at night - seeing how there are lions and stuff out there hunting you!

In the collage above, you will see our "cabin" that was up on stilts about 3 feet off the ground, our eating area, inside the cabins, our Range Rover we rode in, and of course mom in her tourist safari hat! :) We got there Monday afternoon, were fed hamburgers, then about 4:30 left on our afternoon drive. We got home at 8, just in time for a dinner of beef and vegetable "stew" - so they say. Then it is lights out at 10, because we are getting up at 5:30 in the morning. By the way - they don't recommend you leave your cabin at night. So if you need to pee - they have bed pans in the room for you. Well, Lane woke up about 2 in the morning, and being a guy - he could stand at the stairs and take care of business. That was soooooo unfair, because my body suddenly decided I needed to go, but there was NO WAY I was going in the "chamber pot"! So I had to wait until morning. Ugh. Probably too much information - but oh well.

The next morning we left at 6 a.m. and drove until 10 a.m. then returned for breakfast, and we headed home around noon. It was over too fast, but at the same time we were glad we weren't staying another night like the rest of the visitors there with us. I don't know if I could have taken 4 more hours jostling around in that Range Rover!

The next post will cover the animals and safari highlights.





Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

parentsof8 said...

Thought you would tell how Lane warmed his water in the "donkey boiler" and took his shower from a bucket. These cabins were pretty clean, you have to admit. Dispite the fact that we had a little grey frog in ours. It was all fun!

scottandkaelyn said...

I remember having to pee too!! OUCH! Sometimes being a boy has benefits huh? It was a great time (minus Scott) and I'm glad we got to do it.

Lory said...

You guys are very wild... I didn't see the hot tub and pool... were those accomodations nice, also? :)

Kamille said...

Quick and dirty. Just the way I like to hear a story.