Sunday, December 19, 2010

A story I forgot to tell

So I was at church today in the hall talking to a couple of friends about the funny thing that happened with my mom over Thanksgiving.  My one friend reads my blog and said, "Now I haven't read this on your blog!  You need to put it on there!"  So, for history's sake, here it is:

I love to go shopping on Black Friday.  I always dream of going with my mom or sisters too, like a lot of my friends do here.  But, because they don't live here I go alone :( or with friends! :) This year we were in St. George with my family, and while I was VERY disappointed to find my mom and sisters didn't do Black Friday, I was undaunted, and went out with Kayla.  Course we didn't get up until 7 to go.  I needed my sleep!

We hit a bunch of stores - Big 5, Old Navy, Children's Place - to name a few.  I had bags and bags of stuff -because of course the deals are so good!  I threw the bags in the back of the car and we went to meet up with the family.

Later, we decided to catch a movie.   Half of us (the boys) were going to Harry Potter, and half were going to see Tangled.  The bad news was Tangled was sold out for the whole day.  So we had to change plans.  The teenage girls wanted to see Morning Glory, and I did too.  However, I knew I couldn't take Addi to that - she'd never sit and watch it.  I couldn't send her in Harry Potter because she wouldn't like that either.  So, being the good mom I am, I was going to take Addi home and do something with her, because what else was I going to do?

Enter the best mom and dad ever - MINE! :)  They didn't want to see Harry Potter, and didn't care to see the other movie either, so they offered to take Addi and my little niece to the park and play while we went to the movie.  Me and my sis were all over that one!

I gave mom the keys and went in to lose myself in a movie.  Later that night, mom came to me a little nervous and said, "I have to tell you I had a little incident with your car."  Obviously my heart jumps a little, and I say, "Uh oh, what?"

She then relays to me the story.

She went to put the two little girls into the car.  She pressed the unlock button good and hard to make sure the doors unlock.  She straps the girls in, and her and dad get in and start driving down the road.  Suddenly she notices people are honking and pointing and causing a commotion.  She doesn't know what is going on.  She looks in her rear-view mirror, and notices things are laying in the road.  She checks the side view mirror and thinks it looks like bags and clothes.  She quickly pulls over to the side of the road and her and dad get out.  A couple other people have also gotten out of their cars to stop and help pick up whatever is all over the road.

For those of you who have SUVs that have the automatic back door opener, I'm sure you know what happened.  She had held down the unlock button for too long, and that automatically lifted the tail gate all the way open.  She was driving down the street with it totally up, and all my Black Friday purchases spilling out down the road for people to run over, etc.

Well, with the help of some nice strangers who stopped, they gathered up all the clothes and bags they could find and put them in the back of the car.

Now I had a darling white knit dress for Savannah with a perfectly placed tire mark right across the upper back, a couple of white shirts that were lovingly marked by the black road, and the rest of the clothes were too dark to tell. :)

Not to worry - it all washed out, and we got a good laugh out of it.  But, I can't help but picture this as the perfect Seinfeld episode!  In fact I'm sure there was one where Kramer was driving some mail truck and dropping mail out all over the highway or something.  My life is kind of a sitcom at times, isn't it?

5 comments:

Nancy Pitney said...

That is hilarious! It's a good thing you can laugh about it and she got most of it back. I would have been so peeved to lose all of it! Keep the funny stories coming!

CindyC.wannabequilter said...

I am so glad you posted this story. I laughed to tears!

Sarah said...

That is awesome, I wouldn't have loved to be a driver on the road seeing it all happen. Good thing you can laugh about it and the clothes washed out!

Cindy Sage said...

Poor Mom I could just imagine her devistation. Glad it all worked out...

parentsof8 said...

Sorry, but it does make a funny story, albeit, embarrassing to me.