Thursday, May 2, 2013

Senior Prom 2013

He asked, she answered, let the awkwardness begin!

According to Kayla, a lot of the senior guys asked Junior girls, so fortunately a lot of the Junior guys asked Senior girls!

Kayla was asked by Ben Sorenson.   A kid she had met and hung out with a few times - kinda had a little crush on him - until he started liking her back.  Then, she kinda lost interest.  But they were still friends, so she was excited to go.  Plus, they were going with a big group of her friends, which was the most important for her!

Their "day date" was spent at the lake the Saturday before prom.  Kayla said she had fun, but he was really quiet and didn't talk a lot, so she had to carry the conversation all the time.  That's brutal.

Well, prom night came with plenty of dress drama beforehand!  We bought one dress Kayla loved.  It was peach and sleeveless.  No problem - I'll buy some peach netting that matches and make some cute straps/sleeves and all will be well!  Nope - apparently peach is not the "in" color right now, because not a single fabric store in this valley carries any sort of peach fabric at all!  It was CRAZY, and I was going CRAZY!  What was worse?  The dress is non-returnable!  So, flush $100 down the toilet!

Thankfully, Kayla had a friend who had a beautiful dress she could borrow.  Unfortunately it was strapless too.  BUT, this time I was lucky enough to find some satin that matched almost perfectly, and I was able to add straps, and close up the back so she could be a little more covered up! Yikes!  I Mormonized the dress the best I could, so please don't hate! :)


Here I am about 5 minutes before her date arrives, sewing the hooks in for the back piece of the dress I added.  I wouldn't want to rush anything and have the dress ready the day before prom or anything, right? ha!

Proud mom and dad!!

 
The cute couple!
 Ben showed up at 4:15, sweaty palms and all.  You could tell the kid was nervous.  It was kinda cute ... so I thought.  He also is 6 ft. 3 in. tall, so Kayla could wear her heels!  She was excited about that!

May I take a moment here to say how amazing it is to look at your beautiful child and say, "Wow, where did she come from?"  She is the most beautiful Barbie doll, inside and out!

Lane grilled the kid about where they were going and what they were doing.  Pictures with the group, then dinner at The Keg, then the dance, then Desert Devils Gymnastics Gym with a bunch of kids after.  He would have her home by 1.  Lane then told him he is the luckiest guy in the world, and Ben said, "Oh, I know!"

Apparently the kid didn't really know how lucky he was.  A couple of times through the night, the girls would find themselves without their dates.  They mysteriously disappeared and would turn up later.  That was no problem until the end of the night.  Kayla really had a great time because all her group of friends were together.  

They had been at Desert Devils for a while and Kayla realized she hadn't seen Ben for quite some time.  She asked Savannah - the girl who doubled in their car with them- where the guys were.  Savannah said she heard they had left and gone to In-n-Out Burger to eat!  What?  They totally just left their dates and went to eat?  He didn't even say anything to Kayla!  So Kayla texted him asking where he was.  No answer.

Well, the place was only rented until 1 o'clock and it was time for everyone to leave.  But Kayla and Savannah had no dates or ride!  One of the other girls had her boyfriends' keys because he had mysteriously disappeared with the boys somewhere also.  Hmmm....  she offered to take them home.  But Kayla and Savannah had all their clothes and prom dresses in Ben's car!  So, the girl drove them the 15 mins. over to In-n-Out and went in to get the keys from Ben.  She came out with the keys and Kayla and Savannah got all their stuff out of the car.  The girl who got the keys said it appeared maybe the boys had been doing something they probably shouldn't have (drinking).  So, Kayla and Hannah got a ride home from this girl instead of their dates!  And didn't get home until like 1:45 after all the running around they had to do!

Can you believe that??  I mean honestly!  Who does that????  Dumb teenage boys, that's who!!!

Kayla was laughing at what a joke it all was. In fact a lot of her friends at school talked about it and the joke is they were ditched by their dates!  She hasn't talked to him since prom, but I LOVE what happened on Tuesday, just 3 days after being "ditched" by her date.

She got to class Tuesday morning and there was a note from the office for her.  Apparently, the school does a Senior Poll where everyone votes "who has the best legs, smile, likely to succeed" all that kind of stuff.  You know what Kayla was voted as?  Best Dream Date!!!!!!  Ha!  I am dying at the irony!  The boys of the school all said they wanted to go out with her, and the one boy who took her to prom left her alone and went off with his friends!  Crazy isn't it!  But so dang funny!!

So, the next morning, she had to go to the yearbook office or something and have her picture taken with "the hottest guy in school" according to her.  He was chosen as the best boy Dream Date, and she was the girl. (obviously!)

I say that is pretty good revenge, don't you????



  

2 comments:

Kristin said...

She looks gorgeous in blue, you did a good job on the dress. I feel for you, not many options in AZ for modest prom dresses eh?
Can't believe her stupid date. Oh wait, yes I can. Luke did almost the same thing to his last dance date. Boys are just clueless.
I'd say he feels pretty stupid, since she didn't hear from him.
I can totally see why she was nominated for that-- she is stunning. Where is she going to college?

Julie said...

Love it! I can't believe our kids are finished with all the fun high school dances, games, etc. and getting ready to graduate and take on the world! Crazy. She is absolutely beautiful and if my son can grow past 5' 7" and she's still available when he gets home from his mission, we have GOT to set them up!