Monday, May 6, 2013

The Phoenix Marathon

When I crossed the finish line of the Utah Valley Marathon last year,  I knew I had to run another one.  Why?  Because I wasn't totally cooked and dead.  I knew I held back and tried to run conservatively so I wouldn't hit "the wall" and die.  I ran it in 4:11, and I knew I could do under 4 hours.  That was my goal for this race - The Phoenix Marathon.

How can you not run a race when it is practically in your backyard?  Half the race was along roads we would run every Saturday, and one point of the race passed less than 1/2 mile from my house!  So, I set the goal to try to run this race sub-4 hours.

I trained with my running friends - Julie Boyer, Lisa Wallace and Lisa Tush.  Great ladies that were always fun to run and share stories with on Saturdays! :)

Before the madness - ready to go!!


We talked, we planned, we trained, we dreamed, and the day finally came.  Based on our training runs, I figured Julie would run it in about 3:35-40, Lisa T 3:40-45, then me under 4 then Lisa W. after me.

Saturday, March 2,  I set my alarm for 4:30.  I got up and really felt good.  I drank a protein shake, ate a banana, and got all my stuff together.  We drove over to Julie's house.  She lives 1 mile from the starting line, and her husband was just going to drop us there instead of riding the bus up.  When we got to the house, I realized I left my Garmin at home!!  NO NO NO!  I couldn't run without it!  Here's where the running gods were with me - Julie's Garmin wasn't working, so a friend let her borrow one, but then hers started working! Well, she still had the friend's Garmin - and it was exactly like mine!  And was charged!!!  What a relief!

Anyway, we got to the starting line and were pumped and ready to go.  I never had any intention during my training to try to qualify for the Boston Marathon.  However, I talked to my running friend Heather the day before, and she said I should try to go for it!  I needed to run in 3:45 to qualify.  I thought that would be impossible.  Cut 26 mins off my first marathon time?  That is 1 minute faster each mile!  

That morning, however, I saw the pacer for a 3:45 (an 8:30 pace) race.  Suddenly I thought, "Why not?  I'll try to stay with him and see if I can do it!"  We took off at the gun and ran 4 miles downhill.  I enjoyed kicking it down the hill and talking with the girls.  Around mile 6 we started a small climb.  Lisa T and Julie broke away ahead of me.  I let them, and kept my 8:30 pace.  I was chatting with different runners along the way and really enjoying the race.  At mile 15 we came upon the stretch of road that went right past my ward.  It was so fun to see so many people out there cheering and screaming for me!  My family had signs and Savannah ran 100 yards with me.  It was a real boost.  I was still feeling pretty good and the pacer was just about 30 yds ahead of me. 

At mile 16, I surprisingly came upon Julie B. walking!!  What?  I asked her what was wrong.  She said she didn't know, her body just wouldn't go!  I encouraged her to run with me saying she just was hitting a wall and could come through it.  She ran maybe 100 yds and then stopped and said go ahead.  I was so sad for her because she is fast and a great runner!

Next, at mile 18 or so I came upon Lisa T who was struggling a little too.  I encouraged her to run along with me.  She hung with me for a few then told me to go on.  By mile 20 I was getting tired and soooo ready to be done!  The pacer was still just ahead of me, but I was losing steam and will power.  Sadly, I let him go and just forced myself to keep going.  I dropped from a 8:30 mile the whole way to a 9:30 mile the last 5 miles.  I crossed the finish line so happy to be done.  Several friends who had run the 1/2 were there cheering me on at the end.  That was fun!  I then waited for my friends to cross.  The Lisas came in and we were so thrilled to be done!  We went over to the recovery area, and I kinda started not feeling so great.  I was a little nauseous and thought with a little food or drink in me I would be OK.  I layed in the tent for a little bit, and we all put our feet in the ice baths in the tent and talked about the race.  I still wasn't feeling so great. 

Actual time 3:50:33 Not too shabby!       

Finally, while we were in line for a massage and stretch, I decided if I could just go make myself throw up, I would feel better!  So, I headed over to the porta-potties, but my body wasn't going to make it.  Yup, I started puking up all that water, coke and gatorade right there in the garbage!!  But boy did I feel a little better!  So, I'm in line for the massage, and I hear this "Kathryn!"  I turn and look, and there is Brian Adams, a friend of mine from high school that I probably haven't seen since our 10 or maybe 20 year reunion.  We are FB friends, but I honestly don't remember having seen the guy since high school.

Anyway, I say "Brian!  Wow!  What are you doing here?"  They had flown over to do the race for his wife's 40th birthday.  They did the 1/2.  He asked how I was doing.  I said I did the full, and did great, then was feeling not so great, but now was OK.  He then said, "Honestly, I saw you over there feeling 'not so great'! "  AAAA!  How embarrassing!!  Why does the guy who hasn't seen me since high school 20 years ago have to recognize me, and recognizes me while I'm puking???  What the heck??

Oh well.  One more good puke in a garbage on the way out of the race to the parking lot, and we were on our way.  I didn't feel so great - obviously.  But, I went home, crashed in bed for a couple hours, and was good as new when I got up!  And of course, now I know I have to run another one - and qualify for Boston!!!!  It has never been on my bucket list, but it is now!

Ironically, the Boston Marathon bombs hit this race, and though I wouldn't have been there, it makes you think how sad the whole thing is, but also more determined than ever to run that race and not let stupid terrorists ruin our world and freedoms!
Me and Lisa - alive at the end!

As for Julie, she struggled all the rest of the way, and basically walked and was helped along by her sweet husband.  She finished in over 5 hours, which obviously was hugely disappointing to her!  She found out she had actually over-hydrated herself.  Her body had no salts or electrolytes left in it- so it literally was shutting down!  People have actually died from that very thing!  So scary, but she will run another one and kill it I'm sure!

Man I love running.  Races are truly addicting!




1 comments:

Kristin said...

How could you NOT run it? Let's see... were there any bears chasing you? Case closed. No running.

You're a machine Kathryn. I think I'm getting arthritis in my hip and I know I have tennis elbow (tho I've never even picked up a racket!) and you're running a 3:50 marathon. Sheesh.

Brian was at the 20 wasn't he?