Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you on 9/11/01?

I will never forget - as I'm sure none of you will either - what I was doing when the twin towers were hit.

We were living in Guadalajara, Mexico and I was 8 1/2 months pregnant. Kayla was off to school and I was sitting in a chair with my feet up at the computer playing Solitaire and watching The Today Show. All of a sudden the footage changed to showing the WTC on fire, and talking about how some sort of plane had crashed into it. I thought at first it was a commercial for a new movie or something, but then to my horror and shock started to realize that it was not a commercial, but real life. I then watched as the second tower got hit, and all the ensuing chaos.

The kicker here was that Lane was in Boston, flying home that very day. They said a plane had originated from Boston, but was flying to CA, so I knew it wasn't his plane. He ended up being stranded in the states for 4 more days, and had to drive to Connecticut to get a flight out and home. I remember being in shock, and feeling bad that I couldn't be in my country to help in some way, yet I also felt very safe because I wasn't in my country, and I was pretty sure terrorists weren't going to come and get me in Guadalajara Mexico!

I can't believe 7 years have passed since it all happened. Our country has been forever changed, and not all for the better (I am imagining the pain it is to go through security at the airport now). But, it is one more thing that united us and brought out the best in people everywhere. Even Mexico. I was surprised how many Mexicans expressed their condolenses to me about what happened to my country. It was actually pretty neat.

0 comments: