Friday, February 13, 2009

Does the workout still count?????

Every Friday I get up, get Savannah ready to school, then get the rest of my kids ready and we are out the door by 8:15 for the gym.  I teach at 8:30 aAdd Image.m.  Friday morning is one of my favorite classes to teach.  Not only is it a great group of people who come, but it is a step, cycle and sculpt class.  20 mins of each - so the time really does seem to fly by.  The added bonus of teaching this class is that I KNOW I am going to eat pretty badly that weekend, and I am hoping to negate any poison I put in my body (such as . . chocolate, cookies, cake, chips, salsa, etc. etc. etc.).  So the way I look at it - I am burning the calories off before I even eat them.  Think of the math - I burn 500 calories right now, later I can eat 500 calories because I worked out!  The biggest flaw with this math is that I don't ever actually lose any weight with this mentality.  Oh well, the stuff tastes sooo good anyway! :)


Well, we had a great class, and then just for FUN I ran over to the other gym I teach at and took a Zumba class, because I have always wanted to.  Anyone ever done that before?  They really are fun!  It is basically dancing and shaking your bootie - and I mean really shakin' it - to burn calories.  So, as I danced and shook, I saw my dreams of being on Dancing with the Stars and actually winning it go up in smoke.  Yup, I am a GREAT dancer in my head.  In reality - not as great.  Don't get me wrong, I did pretty good.  I was always on beat and did the moves, but there is something about a 6 ft. woman trying to get down and funky that doesn't quite look as cute as a little 5 ft. 5 er doing the same moves.  Not to mention is there even a dancer tall enough to be my partner?  But, I digress. . . my point is I'm sure I burned off another 250-300 calories doing that.  So my tally is up to around 700?

Hmm.... enter plan that foils all workouts:  we go for lunch to Crackers and Co. for my friend's birthday.  I start good - order the spinach, chicken and raspberry chipotle salad - with dressing on the side.  Ooo . . . then I splurge and have half a roast beef avocado melt - with a few fries.  Hmm... calories start adding up.  That's OK, I worked out this morning.  Enter final temptation - I call it Satan.  It is the Texas Kahlua Brownie - the one they give you for free for someone's birthday.  I figure there are too many of us to actually get enough dessert, so I then proceed to order the Chocolate fudge cake with raspberry sauce. I will share with everyone.  I apparently started a dessert trend.  Everyone else starts ordering dessert - lemon cake square.  Mmm... sounds sinfully delicious.  Turns out - I'm right.  All desserts are incredible.  I proceed to inhale my cake, eat a little of the free brownie, take bites of lemon cakes and then roll myself out the door.  Ugh.  Hey - it's OK, I worked out and only drank Diet Coke.

7 comments:

Kathryn said...

oh yes you so need to eat less and work it all out, because if you gain another pound i am sure you are going to blow up of fatness! haha! mom you cracks me up! one or two pounds on you wont hurt you! and all of the times you teach, and play tennis, it will get burned off! you dont need to worry about that!!!

Rachel and Gavin said...

Ok you are cracking me up! You know, a few pounds wouldn't even look bad on you, you definately don't need to LOSE any! You have a rockin bod, so beautiful! I hope I look like you later, what am I saying, I wish I looked like you right now!

Kristin said...

Now your singing my song baby!

brownymama said...

Hahaha! That's always been my mentality. But now that I've injured myself and can't work out, I keep forgetting that I can't eat the same way either. The pounds actually pack on that way. (:

Kamille said...

At least you got to the gym. Whenever I go, I am so ready and excited mentally and then I get there and remember that my boobs are huge and they hurt when I run. And I get discouraged. So I come home and eat whatever I want without having previously atoned for the calories. I look forward to not being so post-partumy. Ugh.

scottandkaelyn said...

You crack me up!! I think I have the same mentality as you...must be inherited. Although the dessert thing made me sick! PUKE! However, I'll eat a homemade shake at 9pm. OOPS. Looks like I have to run 20 minutes on 5 speed and 2% grade in the morning. Dang it! Oh well. We still look good right?

Sarah said...

You are to funny, good thing you are tall and already skinny so the calories hide well on your body. I am glad to hear Zumba was fun I think I am going to try it this week.