I didn't get to tell our best "Wade" story, so here goes.
We moved to Mexico City where Lane was going to be running a company called DSL. Troy was running the office at the time, and Wade was doing an internship. They lived in a little apartment like 3 blocks from the office. They found us one for rent in the same building, just down a floor. So all the guys worked together and we played together. (Though they weren't married, so they really played! We were boring married people. :)
Anyway, Troy and Wade were my only friends and English speakers around at the time.
Well, I had started having nausea issues, and smells were really bothering me. Like Lane and Wade would come home and make lunch, and eat a bunch of Hot Tamales candy, and I couldn't stand the smell of them! I seriously wanted to puke smelling it, which was weird because I love Hot Tamales! After a few weeks of feeling weird, I started to wonder if somehow, someway I was pregnant. (For reasons I will spare you all, this would be somewhat of a miracle.) Finally, one day I couldn't take it any more - I had to know.
We had lived there 3 weeks and my Spanish consisted of maybe 10 or 20 words, and wrong verb conjugations. Lane was on a trip that day and wasn't getting home until around 10 that night. I walked over to the pharmacy, and asked for a pregnancy test. (I had looked up in the dictionary how to say it). I got home and of course did what you need to do (pee on the stick). Here's where the problem arose. The instructions were all in Spanish, and I obviously didn't know what they were saying. Does 1 line mean pregnant? Or is it 2? Not knowing what the result was, I did what any responsible 23 year old in a foreign country did. I went upstairs and asked my two bachelor neighbors to please read the test and tell me which one means what! They read the instructions to me, and sure enough I was pregnant!
So, I guess the funny thing (to us) is that Wade goes down in history as the first person to know I was pregnant! :) I'm sure he will never forget that. Ha!
Since it has been so long since we saw Wade, we had to take some pictures. (Too bad I had already run my 6 miles this morning and was getting ready for tennis - so please forgive the scary look for me! :)
3 comments:
You are being such a good blogger lately! I need to be so much better!!!! Thanks for the stories.
Those kind of friends are good to keep. Hope Lane didn't get jealous of Wade knowing first?? ha ha. Congrats on the 1st baby - now 15! WOW!
What a fun thing to re-connect with a great friend. You guys have supper friends. Good luck on the tri.
Post a Comment