This is Hannah Storm. She is a sports broadcaster for ESPN, and she is like 5'11". I totally want her job.
So, here's the problem: I'm too old! But, I can't help but wonder, am I?
This last week, a 40 year old lady who had been retired from tennis for 12 years, came back, and played at Wimbledon, and almost beat Venus Williams! That is incredible!
Now, I obviously can accept the fact that I won't be playing tennis at Wimbledon, my chance for that came and left before I even picked up a racket I'm sure! (Didn't start really playing until I was 28).
But, is almost 40 too old to look at starting a new career? I knew a couple guys in Medical School who were 40! Don't they say, "Do what you love, and you'll never work another day in your life." ? I have the pleasure and joy of teaching aerobics almost daily. I really don't EVER feel like that is a job. It truly makes me happy and feel fulfilled. So, I get paid to do what I love.
What if I love being a sports broadcaster just as much? I got my degree in Public Relations, which is a cousin to Broadcasting. What if I wanted to do it now? Do you think I could really get a job doing that? I kinda think I might try to get an internship or something with a TV station and get my foot in the door, and see if I could do it! Course, then I might have to buy stock in Botox! ;)
But the way I see it is I love sports, have played many of them (not very well, mind you) and would know what I'm talking about, and am tall enough that I could interview the athletes and they wouldn't have to lean down to their belly button to talk to me! :) I'm just sayin' being tall has to be good for something!
I was telling a lady today I wish I had Hannah Storm's job. She told me to go for it. I still could be a sports broadcaster. My friend who is a newscaster told me I should go for it, I probably could get a job doing it. Over my life I've had many people tell me I should have done broadcasting. So, maybe some day I'll totally get a wild hair and go volunteer my time for free to a TV station here, and maybe one day the sports lady will get in a car accident on the way to work, and they'll pull me out from the back wings and throw me on the TV. Isn't that how it always happens in the movies? :)
Ah, a girl can dream!

3 comments:
Go for It!
You could totally do it, you love sports and talking...it is kinds the perfect job for you. :)
I remember that you loved this idea. A dream only dies when you lay it to rest, so when you're ready, you'll go for it. That's how you are! You want it...so you find a way to get it.
Post a Comment