Monday, September 7, 2009

When skin meets sand . . .

This morning I had the pleasure of meeting some friends for a fun trail run out in Usery Park. It was a gorgeous morning, and actually under 90* at 6 a.m., so that was a bonus! We had a great run up through the trails of nature, didn't see any rattlesnakes, didn't get jumped on by jumping cactus, and avoided any coyotes. We ran up and around at the foothills of the mountain, about 4 miles, then started back down, when suddenly, I slipped(?) on some sand, and did a perfect slide into home plate - except there was no home plate. Thank heaven I didn't actually hurt any bones or joints, but I got some good scratches all over. The funny thing is no one had a towel, kleenex, nothing! So, I had to run back down the mountain (about 3 miles) to the car looking like a bleeding zombie from a B-movie horror flick! Come to think of it, I should have run screaming down the mountain - that would have made for an entertaining morning for all the other hikers/bikers out there.

Showing off my "battle wounds"







So my friend drove us home, and said, "Maybe Lane will have a little sympathy for you and take care of you today." I laughed, knowing heck would freeze over before that happens. So, I get home and Lane isn't there. I wonder where he is, when he comes walking in through the garage door, gives me a pained look and says, "You fell too?"

"Me too? What do you mean?"

I then see a horrific lump on his arm, his scratched up hands, and later see a very swollen ankle. Apparently he was out exercising too and stepped wrong on the curb, and went down hard and fast. Poor guy - the ankle does not look good. We think it is just sprained as he can walk on it, it's just swollen.

So, even when we're apart, we go down together. Ha!

Happy Labor Day everyone!


P.S. - the run was still totally worth it - even with the fall.

7 comments:

Lory said...

Oh friend....
You 2 are getting old, but you look terrific. Maybe we can all chip in a 2 good looking JAZZIES for Christmas.

Lory said...

Oh friend....
You 2 are getting old, but you look terrific. Maybe we can all chip in a 2 good looking JAZZIES for Christmas.

Kamille said...

That's funny that you both fell this morning. I hope the rest of your Labor day was less labored. Perhaps you should stick exercises that have a softer landing, like swimming?

fish said...

i don't believe you just ran 7 miles before taking those pictures. you're secretly training to be a cage fighter.

Sarah said...

Ahh how sweet, maybe you guys are 80 you will have to get your hips replaced together too.

p.s. I love it that Lane wouldn't pamper you, it the same story over here.

Kara said...

Yikes, next you will be breaking hips together...it will be so cute :) U guys could share a room in the hospital, maybe they would roll your beds together so that you can hold hands.

Do you even fit in a hospital bed?

Jilynn said...

Ouch!!!