Where do I even begin? Seriously, where do I begin? Do I start at the beginning and do a blow by blow for my own "journal" entry or just try to summarize quickly?
Sorry, I gotta lay it all out there with the sordid details. No one has to read this but me later, when I want to relive the trip.
Our New York trip was awesome! :) 6 weeks ago my very good friend Sara Visser called from Arkansas (her husband is an exec in Walmart). She is turning 40 this month and wanted to see Wicked in New York, with us! So of course I couldn't turn that invitation down! I tried to tell her we would love to come as long as they are paying, but they didn't buy into that part - darnit! We visited them in China 3 years ago, had a blast and were dying to get together with them again. They are one of those rare friendships where you all totally get along and have a blast and could live together (as we did for a week when we were total strangers 18 years ago) forever and be OK! We love them!
We started out with a 4 1/2 hour direct flight. Of course we were the lucky couple who got to sit by the single dad with his almost 2 year old on his lap. Hey, I have 4 kids, so I have a lot of tolerance for that, because I have been there - yuck! The problem with this was the guy was severely under-prepared for his job. In fact he had not a thing except a bag of cheez-its to entertain that poor little kid the whole flight!
Jovan - or Baby J (as I later found out) was so cute, but very bored! The dad apparently hadn't gotten enough sleep the night before, because he sat there sleeping while Baby J stood on the floor trapped between his dad's legs and the seat in front of him. He whined, cried, bounced off the seat in front of him, climbed up and down on his dad, and just wanted someone to pay attention to him! Apparently the dad could dress the kid in his Laker's jersey and Nike shoes, but couldn't spend $5 for a new toy or two for the plane? After about 2 hours, and feeding him some of our food, and giving him anything that could be construed as a toy to entertain him, Lane got up to walk around. I was by the window, so I took Baby J on my lap and had him look out the window, sang songs with him, looked through the sky mall magazine and found dogs, cats, decorations, anything a kid would want to look at. His dad slept.
Finally, he started getting tired. I let him listen to some soft music on my i-pod and he was about to sleep when he decided he wanted to sleep on his dad's lap. So I finally got the nerve to wake up the dad and ask him to take his kid back and hold him. So, the dad took the kid and the kid fell asleep for the last hour of the flight. What a sweet kid. He kept patting my chest and calling me mommy. (Should I be glad he still isn't nursing? ha!)
Yeah, the dad never did say a word to me. Wow. (Really I just felt bad for the kid - didn't need a big thanks, but it would have been nice anyway.)
So we get to JFK and get in line for a shuttle. Some guy comes up and tells us he is $4 cheaper per person for his shuttle. So we went with him. It was a nice 11 passenger van, and was quite roomy until he filled it with 13 Germans and us. At least Lane got the front seat!
We stayed in a really nice hotel called the Affinia 50. Got it on Priceline for only $170 a night! It even had a little kitchenette - which is really unheard of for Midtown Manhattan! We only stayed there one night because I booked a different hotel to meet up with our friends.
Anyway, it was misty, rainy and cold. We knew it was going to rain all the next day as well. I was bummed, because I didn't want Sara's first time to NY to be all rainy!
We unloaded our stuff (after thoroughly checking for bed bugs because suddenly Lane has a paranoia about those) and headed out to explore. We went to a great pizza place called Angelo's for real NY pizza. So good. Then we happened to walk by a bakery and just HAD to go in and buy a cupcake for each of us.
| Lane doing his New Yorker face |
We hit the hay planning to wake up early and try to get in standby to Regis and Kelly. As you'll see below, we got in! :)
We first caught a taxi, and we are thinking the driver just got off the boat the day before. Not sure if he really spoke English, and I know he didn't know how to turn the defroster on in the taxi, because the whole van was fogged up. You couldn't see a thing, and he had a kleenex in his hand and was trying to wipe off the windshield in front of him to see! Scary!
Anyway, man, TV is so very interesting to me. I still would DIE to be a sports broadcaster (tennis or basketball) but, I digress. Regis is little, and Kelly is littler! They were supposed to have Tina Fey on, but her "live" interview had been pre-taped at another time. BUMMER! But we had Jessica Seinfeld cook her spinach something, and Jerry showed up as a surprise to help! So that was cool. He is very funny to me. I miss his show.
Then we listened to the Neon Trees sing Animal. Funny thing is - they are from Provo, UT. Are you kidding? Not a typical BYU student band. Maybe they went to UVU??? Then after the show was over, they did a bonus taping of Michael Eisner (CEO of Disney) who wrote a new book. Yawn. But, oh well. It really was fun!

P.S. - Kelly has a weird outie belly button. How do I know this? You could totally see it her dress was so tight. I'm pretty sure she has enough money to get that fixed!
We then went to our hotel to change to our other hotel, the W, which as luck would have it was across the street! Good deal and great hotel - across from the Waldorf-Astoria.
That afternoon we did Times Square in the rain - not fun, and defrosted in Rockefeller Center doing the NBC Experience tour. I really recommend this. It was cool! We were being guided through various sets and hearing all sorts of facts about the magic and fakeness of TV and all these shows! The SNL info and set was very interesting. Then, we happened to be on the set of Dr. Oz, and in walks Dr. Phil! Maybe he was a little confused? No, he was the guest on Jimmy Fallon which also tapes there, so he was just walking around checking out the studio. Cool, huh?
| Chocolate Cheesecake at Junior's at Times' Square |
| Hershey's Store at Times' Square |
| Famous skating rink at Rockafeller Center |
That night we went to see Promises, Promises. It stars Sean Hayes and Kristin Chenowith and Molly Shannon joined the cast recently. Unfortunately, Kristin was off that night. I wanted to see her so bad. Sean and Molly were good though. Lane gave the show a C, I gave it about a B.
Friday morning we woke up and met John and Sara. Man I love those guys! Isn't it funny how with good friends you pick up with like it was yesterday you saw them, and not 3 years ago?
We went to a NY Deli for breakfast, then went to Top of the Rock to get a view of the whole city. Cool up there! Then we took the Staten Island ferry to check out the Statue of Liberty.
| On top of Top of the Rock |
| Lunch in Little Italy |
| Some of the NY marathon runners on the subway - I'm not kidding! |
| You really see all types down there! |
| In Radio City Music hall for the Rockette's show |

6 comments:
I deleted my last comment because I had a spelling error! Anyway, I read the whole thing and it was very interesting! I'd love to make it to NY someday, but I will definitely need more time than that. Too much to see and do!
Glad you had fun in NY. One day I will go there and have fun too. So happy that you can add that to a "fun trip" list.
I am glad you went to Grimaldi's! I went there with my mom and sister while we there and I craved it ever since! It is soo YUMMY! I also went to Juniors...but I didn't get that chocolate cheescake...I didn't see it or I would have! It looks delish! I had a different one with chocolate that was still good! I am glad you had a fun time! you deserve it!
What a great trip - we just love NYC and after reading your post I'm dying to go back!! One year you have to go to the US Open - so fun :-).
I took my older 2 girls to NYC this spring and we went to Top of The Rock too! It was so amazing! That elevator ride is really scary though! We also went to the m&m's store in Times Square and bought tons of chocolate! I wished we had a week there!
Post a Comment