Monday, February 21, 2011

My Valentine Lesbian-fest!

Ha!  How's that for a title?

So about 24 (yikes!) years ago, me and my friends Lory and Julie (I think) went to see Chicago in concert! They were playing outside at Park West.  We were so excited to be able to go and see Peter Ceterra, as well as be at an outdoor concert in the beautiful amphitheater there.  There were seats down in front, but the rest of the amphitheater was all grass seating.

We excitedly entered in, spread out our blanket somewhere and waited for the show to start.  It had become dark, and we were 2 or 3 songs into the concert, when I looked around and realized we 3 were extremely out of place.  Why?  We were the only people sitting upright!  Everyone else was there with a date, and laying down "listening" to the concert under their nice warm blankets! We immediately realized that this probably was the kind of concert you want to go on a date with some cute boy with, so you can listen to the romantic music and makeout! :)   Let's just say we stayed around for the concert, but kinda left during the encores because we felt so dumb!  (Lory and Julie - if you remember something different then me, set it straight, OK?!)

Fast forward to last Friday night (Feb. 11) when Lane surprised me by taking me to the Dodge Theater to see Sarah McLauchlan.  He had been soooo sick from his chemo, as well as getting the flu (we think) on top of it.  But, he stayed in bed sleeping all day, and dragged himself out of bed to take me on our "romantic" date.

We got to the theater and walked in and looked around, and suddenly I had flashbacks to that night at Park West.  We were a little out of place.  Not totally alone, but pretty outnumbered.

How? you ask.  Well, let's just say any women's basketball recruiting coach would have been in total nirvana at the options available to her that night.  Portia de Rossi would have had a handcuff on Ellen's arm to keep her from finding a different girlfriend, and mullets and button up the front oxford shirts haven't had so many showings since 1985!  In other words . . . Sarah McLauchlan is EXTREMELY popular among the lesbian population!

We had female couples all around us, as well as a few straight couples here and there.  It was almost hilarious!  We also had really good seats! :)  What is it about her, I wonder?  We started to wonder if maybe she is gay herself, but she talked about getting divorced last year, and she has two kids, so at this time, she doesn't play that way.

She talked about writing one of her songs after she had slept with someone and realized she shouldn't have.  The lovely lesbian just down the row from us yells out really loud, "What about sleeping with women?"  Nice.

I must now say that she sings sooooo good.  She sounded just as beautiful in person as she does on her CDs, and that is pretty rare in the music industry - I think!



So, after the concert, and wading through the sea of baggy Levis, spiky short hair, various piercings, and your random really pretty lesbian, we made it back to our car.

I noticed the car next to us said, "I'd rather be running" around its license plate.  I was just about to point it out to Lane and say, "Look!  A kindred spirit!"  Unfortunately, I also looked in the car and saw that this runner lady and her friend had apparently had the fire of romance lit in the concert, because they were in full-on makeout mode right there!  AAAAA!!!!  Someone please wash the image from my brain! (not that there's anything wrong with it! remember Seinfeld? :))

So, that was the romantic Valentine for me.  Lane was pretty out of it the rest of the weekend - poor guy!  Thank heaven he has been feeling better the last few days.  He even wrote me a poem 2 days after Valentine's to make up for being so sick on Valentine's Day.


It was OK - I had these to eat instead.  Yum!

4 comments:

Lory said...

oh I love it!!! yes. yes. yes. 2 less lonely people in the world...(that night)...make it 3 very lonely ladies in the world. we were out of place but it made great memories. I love your story...girlfriend :)

Lory said...

oh I love it!!! yes. yes. yes. 2 less lonely people in the world...(that night)...make it 3 very lonely ladies in the world. we were out of place but it made great memories. I love your story...girlfriend :)

scottandkaelyn said...

Glad you had fun! I had a similar experience when I saw UB40 at Park West but there was some weird smell in the air...? Then again at ZZ Top, that odd smell again at the Delta Center. HMM.... What is that?!?

Julie said...

This post cracked me up - I love Sarah McLaughlan too and would LOVE to see her in concert . . . hmmm, maybe take a good looking girlfriend and look like a hot lesbian couple - LOL ;-).

It's been fun catching up on your blog - looks like things are going well - you looked stunning in that dress - WOW - model beautiful!